Thursday, January 22, 2009

Decadence on a Dime! WRITING SAMPLE ONLY

THIS IS ONLY A WRITING SAMPLE. SUSHI GRADE AHI TUNA WAS NOT ON SALE WHEN I WROTE THIS POST. (...ahhhh....got that off my chest. Guilt over Ahi is no good.)

I cannot begin to tell you how much I love Tuna Tartare.

A couple of years ago, the husband and I enjoyed an amazing Valentine's Day dinner at the wonderful Bacchus in downtown Milwaukee. For our appetizer, we split the most amazing Tuna Tartare I have ever had....it was salty, spicy, and served on top of crispy wonton chips.... so heavenly, I was still dreaming of it long after dinner ended!
Do you think it's normal to dream of tuna tartare?

So fantastic was this dish, that I even went so far as to write to the R.S.V.P column at Bon Appetit magazine to see if they could persuade the Chef to share the recipe. Would you believe he actually did? A couple of months later I received a letter from Bon Appetit and a copy of the recipe. I've been making it for cocktail parties ever since.

Now, you wouldn't necessarily think that Tuna Tartare would be at the top of a frugal gal's grocery list, but Ahi Tuna is .... you guessed it.... on special this week at Sendiks for $7.99 a pound! The finished dish is quite rich, so you don't need to buy much tuna - only half a pound or so.

Other ingredients for the dish are also on sale: the scallions, soy sauce, and the rice crackers that I serve alongside the tuna. If you're the over-achieving type who likes to go the extra mile, you can skip the rice crackers and fry up your own wonton chips like they do at Bacchus.

I've never been accused of being an overachiever. Also, I find frying to be a putzy chore that smells up my kitchen, so I leave deep fried foods to the professionals.

Over achiever or not, pair this decadent appetizer with the crisp Toasted Head Chardonnay (on sale!), or an icy-cold Sapporo.

Here's the recipe. Enjoy!

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin